We watched Glenbrooke being built and knew right away that we would be selling our home to enjoy our retirement here. We have been here since 2003 and we will continue living here. Glenbrooke’s staff is second to none and they have become our family. Our friends that live here at Glenbrooke are also more like family. We enjoy the activities and lifestyle that Glenbrooke offers and truly believe there is not a better place to live out our retirement!
Beat The Heat Back
cold hot outside-- and inside, too.
June 21st marked the first day of Summer and that means Operation Beat The Heat! Need some tips on how to stay cool during this glorious yet hot time? Don’t sweat it! We’ve got you covered!
- Tip #1: DRINK LIKE CRAZY! That’s means drink lots and lots of water! Don’t be afraid to sneak in a nice class of sweet ice tea or lemonade but not too often. If you’re bored of drink regular water, infuse it with fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. Maybe try some new refreshing combinations such as cucumber with lemon and orange with mint. Infusing your water is super easy – just slice up what you want to use for flavor, put them in a pitcher with some water and keep it in the fridge. It is important to stay hydrated from the heat to lower chances of sickness, heat stroke, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and more.
- Tip #2: SCREEN IT OUT! Do not go outside without putting some sunscreen on! Sunburns can occur within 15 MINUTES of exposure! Don’t risk the chances of getting burned! Protect yourself and wear a sunscreen that is no less than 30 SPF and apply regularly.
- Tip #3: SPRITZ YOURSELF! It may be a good idea to carry a spray bottle filled with cold water with you and give yourself a nice little spritz when you start to feel hot. Spray water over your body’s pulse points like the neck, wrists and temples of your head. This way you can cool down and refresh yourself in the summer heat.
- Tip #4: GO LIGHT AND LOOSE! Lose the jeans and sweaters! It’s not winter anymore! Bust out your shorts and tanks! Throw on some sunglasses and a hat too, spice it up! Also, light colors not dark colors. You absorb more heat in dark clothing. Loose cotton and linen will help keep you cool as well. Synthetics will usually make you sweat more so it is best to avoid them. It is key not to attract the heat to you so dress accordingly.
- Tip #5: TREAT YOURSELF! What a perfect time to treat yourself to those frozen goodies! Take advantage of the heat and indulge yourself with foods like ice cream, ice pops, frozen yogurt and other icy treats!
Have a great summer!
As a widower, I felt extremely lonely and disconnected in my neighborhood and home. My friend introduced me to the idea of retirement living in an independent retirement community. I looked at several in Brevard County, but none had the sense of family or friendliness that Glenbrooke has. I’m here at Glenbrooke to stay!
I waited too long to make the move to Glenbrooke. I visited many times and told several of my friends to move, but couldn't seem to brave it for myself. The staff at Glenbrooke never gave up on me, and even helped to see me through the selling of my home and assisted with all the arrangements to make the move! I now feel that I have regained my zest for life and am proud to say that I have found the person I enjoy spending all my time with. I would have never had such an opportunity staying in my house. I am truly at home here!
My husband and I selected Glenbrooke as our home of choice to enhance our retirement lifestyle, but never thought about what Glenbrooke would offer if either of us passed away. After his passing, our children asked me to move closer to them. Even with my limited vision, I am able to maintain an independent, active, vibrant and fulfilling lifestyle. The staff is always available to meet any wants or needs that I may have, and they always do it with a smile and a hug.
Moving to Glenbrooke is the best decision I have ever made. I feel safe, secure and completely at home. My friends and family who come to visit can’t believe that my apartment is so spacious and beautiful! They are always complimenting me on my home and I never get tired of hearing the words “what a nice apartment”. The friends and family I have gained since moving here have definitely helped fill a void in my life, and I have peace of mind everyday knowing I have the freedom to engage as much or as little as I want.
I LOVE Living at Glenbrooke! They truly care about us. We asked for a change to the food and it was done quickly and is delicious. Thank you, Glenbrooke for taking such great care of us and making sure we are happy residents.