We watched Glenbrooke being built and knew right away that we would be selling our home to enjoy our retirement here. We have been here since 2003 and we will continue living here. Glenbrooke’s staff is second to none and they have become our family. Our friends that live here at Glenbrooke are also more like family. We enjoy the activities and lifestyle that Glenbrooke offers and truly believe there is not a better place to live out our retirement!
Beat the Winter Blues Back
It is easy to feel blue during the wintertime. SAD, or seasonal affective disorder may be to blame. It affects us during the late fall and early winter months because there is less sunshine due to the weather and the time change. Not only is there less sunshine, the temperature is also colder, often making it uncomfortable to spend long periods of time outside. Here are a few ways to combat the winter blues in time for the holidays.
· A great way to beat the winter blues is to spend time with friends and family. Whether in person, over the phone or Skype, taking the time to visit with the people you love will always leave you in a better mood.
· The holidays are the perfect time to help fight the winter blues. Enjoy a delicious cup of hot chocolate, bake or decorate Christmas cookies, attend a holiday party, or go on a trip to view Christmas lights. There are many great holiday ideas that will put a smile on your face.
· Enjoy the sunshine when you can. Bundle up if it is cold and go for a walk outside when the sun is out. Spending time outdoors and getting fresh air will help to rejuvenate you and is sure to enhance your mood. Be sure to limit your time outside if it is very cold outside to avoid getting sick.
· Do something creative. Spend some of your time working on a fun craft project like ornaments, wreaths, or go even further and learn to knit a blanket. A fun project will take your mind off feeling sad and will channel your thoughts to the craft you are working on.
· Enjoy some of your favorites. When you are feeling down, revisiting some of your favorites can be an easy way to lift your spirits. Watch a favorite movie or listen to music you enjoy. It can be Christmas themed and festive or otherwise.
· Attend a church service.
· Most importantly, take time for yourself. Spend time doing the things you love, but also take the time to relax. The holidays can get stressful and busy, so using your spare time to unwind is a great idea. Also take the time to take care of yourself. It is easy to feel down when are aren’t 100%. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising a few times a week. The exercise is especially important if you plan on indulging in holiday treats or drinks.
It is important to make an appointment to see your doctor if you are struggling with depression or if your seasonal affective disorder extends past the winter months.
We hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
As a widower, I felt extremely lonely and disconnected in my neighborhood and home. My friend introduced me to the idea of retirement living in an independent retirement community. I looked at several in Brevard County, but none had the sense of family or friendliness that Glenbrooke has. I’m here at Glenbrooke to stay!
I waited too long to make the move to Glenbrooke. I visited many times and told several of my friends to move, but couldn't seem to brave it for myself. The staff at Glenbrooke never gave up on me, and even helped to see me through the selling of my home and assisted with all the arrangements to make the move! I now feel that I have regained my zest for life and am proud to say that I have found the person I enjoy spending all my time with. I would have never had such an opportunity staying in my house. I am truly at home here!
My husband and I selected Glenbrooke as our home of choice to enhance our retirement lifestyle, but never thought about what Glenbrooke would offer if either of us passed away. After his passing, our children asked me to move closer to them. Even with my limited vision, I am able to maintain an independent, active, vibrant and fulfilling lifestyle. The staff is always available to meet any wants or needs that I may have, and they always do it with a smile and a hug.
Moving to Glenbrooke is the best decision I have ever made. I feel safe, secure and completely at home. My friends and family who come to visit can’t believe that my apartment is so spacious and beautiful! They are always complimenting me on my home and I never get tired of hearing the words “what a nice apartment”. The friends and family I have gained since moving here have definitely helped fill a void in my life, and I have peace of mind everyday knowing I have the freedom to engage as much or as little as I want.
I LOVE Living at Glenbrooke! They truly care about us. We asked for a change to the food and it was done quickly and is delicious. Thank you, Glenbrooke for taking such great care of us and making sure we are happy residents.