We watched Glenbrooke being built and knew right away that we would be selling our home to enjoy our retirement here. We have been here since 2003 and we will continue living here. Glenbrooke’s staff is second to none and they have become our family. Our friends that live here at Glenbrooke are also more like family. We enjoy the activities and lifestyle that Glenbrooke offers and truly believe there is not a better place to live out our retirement!
Can You Help Your Own Hearing? Back
Hearing loss is a scary and frustrating thing that happens to many adults over time. Have you noticed yourself asking people to repeat themselves? Have you had to use the remote control to turn the volume UP because you just can't hear it? Do you think that there is nothing you can do about hearing loss?
There are tips to preventative measures you can take to prevent noise-induced hearing loss and also to keep your hearing loss from getting worse.
Let's begin by understanding what NOISE is. Noise is loud sounds that over time can damage the hair cells in your ears. Hair cells in your ears? Yes, we all have tiny hair cells in our inner ears that slowly break down and can't pick up sound vibrations as well as they did when we were younger. Noise can be from concerts you went to, playing loud music in your headphones, loud events, motorcycles, loud tools and so forth. We can not go back to undo those fun times however, there are ways to improve your hearing now.
- The Test Will Tell You - A hearing test will let you know if there is a problem and how severe it is. Ask yourself the questions above and think of your relatives. If close relatives have hearing loss, you may be at a higher risk than others. Your doctor will help you but they will only be able to do that if you make an appointment and go in.
- Say NO to Loud Noise Now - If you can't hear someone else speaking to you because the noise around you is too high, you must turn it down or remove yourself from that area. You shouldn't have to shout as that is a sure sign that it's too noisy.
- Shop for QUIET - When you are purchasing home appliances, check for the noise ratings. If you are in a loud environment and can not leave, see if the management at the facility can help by lowering the TV, music, etc.
- Protect Yourself - It may not be as stylish as you like but it's always better to be safe than sorry! Wearing earplugs or earmuffs if you are going to be exposed to loud sounds for over two minutes.
- Smoking Hurts - Research shows that smoking effects hearing loss. Don't do it. This is a great reason to add to the list of why you should stop smoking now!
- Earwax - It is amazing how much wax can build up in your ear canal which will cause sounds to be muffled. The relief you will feel after using an at-home irrigation kit will be worth the time. If it is too compacted, your doctor can remove it for you.
- Check Your Meds - There are medications that you may be taking for other issues that could harm your hearing. Check with your doctor to ensure that the medications they have prescribed for you won't interfere with your hearing now or down the road.
You must be your own biggest advocate in this world so make sure you follow the tips and enjoy hearing the beauties that abound you!
As a widower, I felt extremely lonely and disconnected in my neighborhood and home. My friend introduced me to the idea of retirement living in an independent retirement community. I looked at several in Brevard County, but none had the sense of family or friendliness that Glenbrooke has. I’m here at Glenbrooke to stay!
I waited too long to make the move to Glenbrooke. I visited many times and told several of my friends to move, but couldn't seem to brave it for myself. The staff at Glenbrooke never gave up on me, and even helped to see me through the selling of my home and assisted with all the arrangements to make the move! I now feel that I have regained my zest for life and am proud to say that I have found the person I enjoy spending all my time with. I would have never had such an opportunity staying in my house. I am truly at home here!
My husband and I selected Glenbrooke as our home of choice to enhance our retirement lifestyle, but never thought about what Glenbrooke would offer if either of us passed away. After his passing, our children asked me to move closer to them. Even with my limited vision, I am able to maintain an independent, active, vibrant and fulfilling lifestyle. The staff is always available to meet any wants or needs that I may have, and they always do it with a smile and a hug.
Moving to Glenbrooke is the best decision I have ever made. I feel safe, secure and completely at home. My friends and family who come to visit can’t believe that my apartment is so spacious and beautiful! They are always complimenting me on my home and I never get tired of hearing the words “what a nice apartment”. The friends and family I have gained since moving here have definitely helped fill a void in my life, and I have peace of mind everyday knowing I have the freedom to engage as much or as little as I want.
I LOVE Living at Glenbrooke! They truly care about us. We asked for a change to the food and it was done quickly and is delicious. Thank you, Glenbrooke for taking such great care of us and making sure we are happy residents.